We like the Premier Inn type hotels, lowish budget, clean hotels which are reasonably close to the ferry ports.
- The Premier Inn at Holes Bay which is nice as it looks out over the sea so you feel as though you are already on holiday - it also has a nice restaurant with a well stocked collection of wines in the bar! http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/POOHOL/poole-centre-holes-bay Although does not take dogs.
- The Salterns Hotel at Poole - We were very pleased to discover this one as its a very nice hotel and is adjacent to a marina. It involves a short drive through Poole to get to the ferry port - check with hotel for timings. They delivered the following breakfast (see photograph) to our rooms at 5am, as we were catching the 7am ferry - pretty good work for that early in the morning ! Thoroughly recommended. They have a suite room which is ideal for a large family group, and they also allow well behaved dogs.
Here is a link to things to do if staying in Poole :
We can also recommend the South Lychett Manor campsite if you are looking for somewhere to stop over with your caravan near Poole : http://www.southlytchettmanor.co.uk/index.html. We also enjoyed eating at the Baker's Arms pub.
- Travelodge in Portsmouth. This is in the city centre so can be a little noisy and the surroundings are not all that inspiring but the advantage is it is directly across the roundabout from the Cross Channel Ferry port for Brittany Ferries : http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/info?hotelId=62
- If you want to stay a little out from the centre of Portsmouth then the hotel which we stayed at when it was an Innkeepers Lodge but is now a Travelodge is called Portsmouth Hilsea : http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/info?hotelId=479 This was a nice hotel when we stayed at it. It had a Toby Carvery which was excellent and may allow dogs.
- We have stayed at the Premier Inn, Plymouth East, which has a Beefeater restaurant. http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/PLYMAR/plymouth-east
Does anyone have any other recommendations ? Does anyone have recommendations near Dover/Calais ?
Go Back to Best French Campsites