The next most valuable European attractions are Rome's Colosseum and then the Tower of London !
Eiffel Tower statistics -
- It is 320m (1,050ft) high.
- It was built in 1889 at a cost of 8 million francs which is around £30 million today.
- It is named after engineer Gustave Eiffel whose company designed it.
- It took around 2 years to build.
- It was built as a symbol for the Universal Exhibition of 1889.
- It was the tallest monument in the world until New York’s Chrysler Building in 1930.
- It is the most visited attraction in Europe.
- When the temperature is very high, the height of the Tower can increase by up to 18 cm.
- Wind can cause the tower to move sideways - the maximum recorded was a sideways move of 9 cms during the December 1999 storm (don't worry its built to withstand this !).
- Gustave Eiffel also designed and built the framework for Bartholdi’s Statue of Liberty which now stands at the entrance of New York's harbour.
There is also a new Children's Discovery Course on Level 1 of the Tower which will help children answer the questions that are published in their excellent Booklet that is given out to Children - http://www.eiffel-tower.com/images/PDF/enfants/livret.pdf
If you would like to stay in a campsite in or near Paris, we have a selection at Best French Campsites at http://www.bestfrenchcampsites.com